Sunday, May 26, 2013

Graduation Gifts

I can't believe it's been four years since I graduated from high school, as it really doesn't feel like I've already been in the university for those four years! But I have and some people I still think of as kids have graduated and are graduating, and I feel so old! This year, my stepsister is graduating and to celebrate that I made her a card and crocheted earrings. The card has two origami butterflies made from Marimekko advertisement (Marimekko is a pretty famous Finnish textile company). It also has some lace I crocheted myself and a blue satin ribbon bow and border. The golden lyre at the top right corner is kind of the symbol of scholarship here in Finland, as the graduation caps have the same golden lyre. The white lace and dark blue satin ribbon remind me of the colors of the graduation caps, white and black, without being funeral-y. Here is the card, which I am quite pleased with.


The earrings I crocheted from red thread with a 1.00 mm hook. Was that a pain! But otherwise they would have been too big, as they are quite big even now, 5x5cm. But because I crocheted them with such a small hook, they are sturdy enough so that they didn't need to be starched (plus I think earrings don't really have to be "hard", they can bend a little). I love these earrings, and I hope she does, too, 'cause otherwise I just want to keep to myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment