Thursday, September 20, 2012

Yarn shopping

We went yarn shopping today with my boyfriend and found a perfect colour for his hat and also some perfect yarn for me to knit a hat from, more specifically Susan Crawford's Bobble topper, from the same vintage knitting book as Kasha. I love that pattern so much and the yarn I got is just the perfect shade. I have also noticed that after completing so many of my unfinished projects I am all of sudden swarmed with new ones and thus right back where I started. Oh well, such is a knitter's life, I guess :) The yarn shop I went to is called Villavyyhti, Finnish for 'wool skein'. I thought it was just too cute to have the brown paper bag with the name stamped on it and two wool skeins looking out :) So ye yarn I bought was indeed Cascade Yarn's Cascade 220 as I wrote yesterday. The colourway I got for him is 9428 and for me 8415.

We already made a little ball out of the green skein so I can start knitting today. I really should be studying for an exam I have next week but writing this and knitting is just so much more fun! Even reading Crime and Punishment which I'm halfway though would be so much more interesting than studying...


I am also eagerly waiting for the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy, Monckingjay, which I'm getting from the library in a few weeks. It's so popular that I have to wait for it but I think it's still better than having to buy it. Especially since I would only read it once, most probably. I haven't read the first one at all, I only saw the movie. The second one I borrowed from a friend and read it in one night. I don't really like the writing style too much, it's way too teen novel-y and while it is a novel for young people, it's still sticks out too much for me. But the story is pretty good and quite

compelling so I really must find out what happens before the movies come out. Also, I am not even really sure if the style really is the way I accused it  of being or if it's only the translation as I read  the second book in Finnish. The third book I am now getting in English so that uncertainty will be cured quite soon. ^^ 

I really liked the first Hunger Games movie. It is quite interesting that the actors are my age - or even younger. Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss) and Liam Hemsworth (Gale) have born in the same year as me, 1990, and Josh Hutcherson (Peeta) in 1992! The latter, I think, is a clear sign that I am not in the movie's target audience since how could I ever drool after I guy who is two years younger than me ;) But still, can't say I didn't like the film... It's just interesting that Hollywood has actually started to employ actors that are actually pretty close to the age they are to portray, that 30-year-olds are no longer (necessarily) hired to play teenagers. And that I think is great. And this is perfect transition to start talking about Buffy again! Did you know that when the show started in 1997, Sarah Michelle Gellar was quite young, only 19, while Nicholas Brendon was 25 and David Boreanaz 27. But that's okay, I mean he does play a 240+ old vampire :D But 25 is pretty old to play a highschooler even if they say that men mature late ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment