Monday, March 25, 2013

Planning your knitting

Do you usually plan much ahead with your knitting? I normally don't, as I know myself and know that it wouldn't really hold. But now that I've started to be active at Ravelry's sock knitting groups (yes, it's no longer just Sock Knitters Anonymous, there's also Solid Socks and Cookie Crumbs KAL), I find that I have planned my sock knitting as far as July. I want to participate in as many prize drawings as possible since the prizes are sock yarn and who wouldn't want some new sock yarn? That has led me to calculate my knitting: what should I knit that will fill the requirements of as many sock knitting groups as possible. All the groups have different challenges for each month (well, the Cookie club doesn't, but it has many challenges in a three-month period) so one has to think about many different things when selecting a pattern. But it's all good fun. For April I have already planned to knit three pairs of socks and four for May. When you keep in mind that I don't only knit socks, you'll see that I plan to keep busy!

Just yesterday I started a new vintage jumper, this one's from the early 50's and found in Rita Taylor and Madeline Weston's book called Knit Vintage. I almost bought it back in London in January but my stinginess wouldn't let me. How happy was I when I found that I could get it from the library here at home! Now I have it and I'm knitting Bette top with keyhole neckline, a beautiful pattern with lace and picot edgings. My project will be the first on Ravelry. I'm using some fingering weight red cotton to knit with. I must say I am not really a huge fan of the yarn or cotton in general: it feels nice and soft and I'm sure it will be great for summer but my is the yarn splitty! It is driving me a little crazy though I am getting better and better at knitting with it. I have already finished one sleeve, you can see the lace pattern below. The front and back will have two lace panels exactly like the one on the sleeve, and the rest will be knits and purls just like on the sleeve. I don't have a picture to show on how it will look when finished but you'll get some idea and hopefully I will have some more to show you soon. By the way, I'm almost done with my Birch Point Hoodie!

50's jumper sleeve

No comments:

Post a Comment